Sample Essay Create and Maitain a project and Profile to Demostrate what you have learn from this module about project management
Create and maintain a project outline and profile to demonstrate what you have learn from this module about project management. This task is to be completed individually and NOT as a group.
To improve the performance of coding in existing projects of IT dept with a cost of £150,000 within 6 months
To reduce the number of large computers and hence the overall cost of IT projects.
To upgrade/modify the code that suits the personal computers
To re test the upgraded code so that it works on personal computers.
To deploy and operate the upgraded software products.
Megabyte Computers, Inc. provides a variety of computer-related goods and services to customers throughout the world. The corporate headquarters has more than 60,000 full-time employees, and another 35,000 full- and part-time employees are located throughout the world. Your new CEO, Mark, came from General Electric, and he and his management team are ready to revamp the entire organization by implementing Six Sigma principles. The initial focus will be on training employees in Six Sigma and finding high-payoff projects that will improve operations and decrease costs. You are a project manager in the Information Technology department, and you have been with the company for more than ten years. You have met with other managers in your area, and you have suggested the following potential projects:
1. Online Six Sigma Training Program: Since the CEO wants to train many employees in Six Sigma very quickly; your team thinks it makes sense to provide much of the training in an online format. You have researched several suppliers and you believe you could outsource much of this project.
2. Coding Performance Improvement Project: Even though Megabyte Computers is in the computer industry, the information technology department does not think it uses computing power economically because many programs are not coded for efficiency. The company spends hundreds of millions of pounds for supercomputer and mainframe computing power, and you believe that this project can reduce the number of large computers the company needs.
3. Web Site Redesign Project: The Company’s corporate Web site has grown tremendously in the last few years, and you are not sure that the current design is attracting new customers or meeting current customer needs very well.
4. Wireless Technology Project: There have been great advancements in wireless technologies, and you believe that the company is not taking advantage of developing or using various wireless products.
5. Supporting Office Project: As company is making use of lots of resources
for data entry purposes, you believe in setting up a supporting office in developing country like China or India, so that data entry overheads can be reduced to a greater extent.
Congratulations! You have been selected as the project manager for the Coding Performance Improvement Project. The company’s CIO, Mary, is the project sponsor. Now you need to put together your project team and get to work on this high-visibility project. Top management has told you that you can hand pick your team. In addition, you need to attend a 5-day Six Sigma class before you start working on this project, and you will have a senior manager at your company and Six Sigma Master Black Belt, Kevin, acting as your mentor throughout the project. Kevin will also be overseeing your team’s progress.
1. Summarize each of the above-proposed projects in a simple table format suitable for presentation to management. Include the name for each project, identify how each one would be suitable as a Six Sigma project, how each could improve operations and decrease costs, and use your best judgment to rank each project. Write your results in a one- to two-page memo to top management, including appropriate back-up information and calculations. – 5 marks
2. Prepare a Project Screening Matrix using Multi-Weighted Scoring Model evaluate these four projects. Develop at least four criteria, assign weights to each criterion, assign scores, and then calculate the weighted scores. Print the spreadsheet and bar chart with the results. Write a one-page paper describing this Project Screening Matrix and what the results show. - 10 marks
3. Prepare a project proposal for the Coding Performance Improvement Project. Assume this Six Sigma project will take six months to complete and cost about £150,000. After it is completed, there would be another project to implement the new coding processes, which will take about nine months and £350,000 to do. Estimated benefits are more than £2 million the first year after implementation and £½ million per year for the next three years. – 10 marks
4. Include a responsibility matrix describing your “dream team” for the project. What type of people would you want on your team? Make up names, backgrounds, and personality traits for your dream team. Assume you are considering having four full-time people and four people working 25 percent of their time on your team. - 5 marks
5. Develop a scope statement for the project. Be as specific as possible in describing product characteristics, requirements, and deliverables. 10 marks
6. Develop a work breakdown structure (WBS) for the project. Break down the work to level 2 or level 3, as appropriate. Include two days of Six Sigma training for all team members as part of your WBS. Print the WBS in list form as a Word file. – 10 marks
7. Create an appropriate Process Breakdown Structure (PBS) for those tasks which are process oriented. 10 marks
8. Can you link the two structures i.e. WBS and PBS so one project manager can manage the project or do you have other suggestions. – 5 marks
9. Use the WBS you developed in step 4 above to create a Gantt chart and network diagram in Project 2002 for the project. Estimate task durations and enter dependencies, as appropriate, and include several milestones. Remember that your schedule goal for the project is six months. Print the Gantt chart and network diagram. Include critical path analysis to demonstrate the beginning to end of the project. – 10 marks
10. Include an Organisational Breakdown Structure (OBS) to demonstrate the communication channels. – 5 marks
11. Create a spreadsheet to estimate project costs, clearly labelling all information. List each team member’s name, how many hours he or she works each week on average, the hourly labour rate, and the total labour cost per person and for the entire project. Assume the six-month project is 26 weeks. Also, assume that you work an average of thirty hours per week on the project and earn £40 per hour. Assume that Kevin, your mentor, works ten hours per week on the project and earns £60 per hour, and the other team members earn £25 per hour. Assume no one is paid overtime. Include Six Sigma training costs for all full-time team members at £500 each. Print your spreadsheet with your cost estimate based on this data. Remember that your budget for the six-month project is £150,000. Propose what changes you would make to meet this budget goal. – 10 marks
12. Create a risk severity matrix and list of prioritized risks for the project. Include as many risks as possible. – 5 marks
13. Prepare a lessons-learned report for what you personally learned from this project and be creative in your response. – 5 marks